Doodle Monsters of The Odyssey
My College Prep students were required to make and illustrate a list of monsters Odysseus encountered on his long voyage home. I scanned their illustrations (at least one from every student who turned the assignment in on time) to produce a review slideshow. Although the majority of us are not great artists, it's still pretty easy to figure out which monster each doodle is meant to portray.
- Calypso - A nymph who holds Odysseus hostage for seven years, promising him immortality if he'll agree to stay with her forever
- Charybdis - A swirling whirlpool that could devour Odysseus's entire ship
- Circe - A witch who turns Odysseus's men into pigs
- Clashing Rocks - Odysseus wisely avoids these, since they have destroyed nearly every ship which attempted to pass between them
- Laestrygonians - A race of giant cannibals who destroy 11 ships
- Polyphemus - Poseidon's Cyclops son who eats up six of Odysseus's men
- Scylla - A six-headed beast that devours six of Odysseus's men
- Sirens - Beautiful seductresses or evil vultures picking at the bones of sailors who died trying to reach them?